Monday, October 15, 2012

' Picture It'

I love surprises, don't you? Though 'Picture It' is the focus of the second method of Bible meditation, Pastor Warren surprised us by starting this weeks' session with how to best enjoy Quiet Time with God. Our Growth Group discussion revealed that carving out the time each and every day to read and study the Word was often a real challenge for us, so we appreciated the simple plan Pastor Warren provided. "Seek first His kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Rev. 6:33. What does that mean to you? The word seek is so important because it directs us to make drawing close to God our #1 priority and it implies that we need to take action.

God deserves and desires our devotion! As we turn to God and give Him our devotion, we get direction, we gain delight in God and we grow more like God! Have you struggled with quiet time? It seems that once my feet hit the floor every morning, my day can take on a life of it's own so I have made a daily commitment to dive into the Word early while enjoying my first cup of coffee before the phone starts ringing and I begin working on my To Do list. What's your Quiet Time action plan? Don't have one? Why not start today?

I love this this simple plan for Quiet Time! If this is new to you, start small 5-10 minutes!
* Wait on God (quiet and still)
* Pray briefly (short opening prayer)
* Slowly read a section of Scripture (aloud if possible)
* Meditate and memorize
* Write down what God shows you
* Have your time of prayer

The 'Picture It" method of Bible meditation works best when you're reading a narrative, story or parable. Imagine what the scene looked like and try to see yourself as one of the active participants. What would I be thinking about and feeling as the scene played out? What character do I identify with? What is God saying to me and what does He want me to do?  When finished meditating about this, jot down your thoughts, observations, questions and any other action steps you need to take.

I hope that you're enjoying the techniques being shared in this series as they reveal how we can each enjoy a very close, personal experience with God!

Posted by:
Sally Dyer






No comments:

Post a Comment