Thursday, July 9, 2009

This is the Reason Why

Before you go any farther...please know that this is my opinion...my story...not that of our small group...ok...now you can begin.

Freedom. Freedom to serve God. Freedom to speak omy mind. Freedom to go anywhere I want. Freedom to work. Freedom to have children. Freedom to marry who I love. Freedom to vote.
Freedom.
I learned as a small child why I have freedom. I spent every Memorial Day, July 4th and Veteran's Day celebrating our freedom and remembering those who have fought so bravely for it. I was raised in a patriotic family. My dad and mom both served in the Air Force, my grandfather and uncles served in the Navy, my Aunt Sue in the Army as a nurse, my brother was in the Navy. I'm not talking a few years, I'm talking career military people. I come from a long family history of men and women who sacrificed for the love of country.
Somewhere through the years, I have forgotten to spend time remembering all those men and women who gave of themselves, their lives, and their families to protect America.
Sunday morning we had a phenomenal and emotional service where we honored those who have served and are still serving our country. It was amazing to see all the men and women of our church and community march in formation while a young soldier bellowed out the marching orders. It brought tears to my eyes and a flood of memories.

And it was on Sunday that God revealed to me that I was being selfish. I have been worrying about my son who is serving God on a 6 week missions trip this summer in the Ukraine. I've been missing him. And then I looked over and saw her. The mother of this amazing young man.
You guessed it. Kim. Her son, Doug, is serving God and country in Afghanistan on a 6 month tour of duty. That's his summer vacation. He spent his holiday weekend literally fighting for my freedom. He didn't get to go to a parade, watch fireworks, hear the Pops in Boston, attend a family barbeque.
Doug and his buddies have endured many difficult trials while serving in Afghanistan. They put their lives on the line each and every day. Kim shares his letters with our small group. I have heard her voice tremble as she tells us of the reality of war, the dangers her son is in daily. So forgive me for being selfish about missing my child. He's safe. He sleeps well each night. He's protected.
And thank you Doug! It's because you are willing to step up and sacrifice your life that I was able to enjoy my 4th of July. Thank you to all the men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present for your sacrifice. It's because of all of you that I enjoy my...
Freedom.
I remain....Free....to be In Line With The Word!.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it and the photos of Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday's church service brought me back to the lasting memories of my youth having been raised in an Army town and coming from a family with strong ties to military service. Our freedoms are protected and fought for every day by our best and brightest who serve our country so proudly and so well.

    A heart felt "Thank You" to Doug and all of the men and women who feel called to serve and "Thanks" to their families who selflessly let them go .

    Laurie said it so well and I agree that "It's because of all of you that I enjoy my freedom."
    I love living In Line With The Word,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching tribute to our military.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, Laurie, Laurie, you made me get out the tissues. Geeeeeee Well, thank you for your heartfelt comments. I've come to understand Doug's feelings that he has expressed to me, when he tells me that the kind and encouraging words of people help him "carry on". What a blessing it is to have so many friends who I know truly care.
    And when it comes to being a mom, no matter what the distance or length of time, when our kids aren't around, it's hard. I'm thankful that Rob has chosen to take the time to "spread the gospel" because it will only be through the life changing experience of having Jesus as Savior that this world can be a place where Doug, as a Marine, won't need to go into harms way.

    My strength and comfort comes from staying, In Line With The Word.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete